Sunday, July 24, 2022

A day in the life: Bullied at the grocery store

 A couple months ago the chain grocer where I shop mispriced the hummus I bought. When I brought it to the attention of the employee who oversees the self-checkout area, he said I’d have to go talk to the deli, which sold it. He suggested I might have looked at the price of a different brand of hummus.

I ate the overcharge.

A couple weeks ago I bought six containers of hummus. It rang up at a total of $9.00 more than the advertised price,“Tell me what I have to do to fix this,” I told him. “What do I have to do?”

He told I’d have to go work it out with the deli.

“Do I leave my (mostly rung up) cart here while I do this?” The employee ok’d that.

So I went to the deli and told them this particular brand was deceptively priced. “Come around out here and look at the label in front of it. It’s not the same as what you have in the machine that rings it up.”

They authorized the guy in the self checkout to correct the price, which he did.

The whole process had taken over half an hour and involved two sections of the chain store’s operation. Presumably the chain is now aware that one of its sections is involved in deceptive pricing, and another section has been stonewalling customers who bring it to the store’s attention. They may even be aware that, in addition to violating state law (RCW 19.94.230) regarding “deceptive pricing,” this unethical employee, in bullying an elderly, disabled customer, could have exposed the chain to a civil rights liability.

Clefted people, according to FHA/HUD, which oversees the over-55 apartments where I live, are impaired in “a major life function” in four ways: Appearance, eating, speaking, or considered as such.

The last covers disability stigma, the public prejudice which can cause even elderly, handicapped citizens to be bullied in the course of daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment