Wednesday, April 28, 2021

I responded to an old roommate, not in acceptable social language, but in the language of what’s actually going on

A mutual friend put me in touch with a guy who was my college roommate for one semester, apparently to research “my case.” Below is an anonymized version of what I said to him, basically that I’m not the humble and apologetic guy-with-a-cleft-palate he knew.

I probably won’t hear back from him:

 /******/

Hi, “Peter”, long time, etc. I saw your call on the iPhone, didn’t find a message, however.

[Email omitted]

Prefer written contact. Your Facebook wall doesn’t list Bucolic College …

I think you wrote about cleft palate when you were my roommate (“your case”, you remarked to me).

And when you stopped by my [Left Coast] home, possibly you were following up.

I write a blog about CP and the stigmatized disabled under an anonymity name. Friends and family anonymized there who might be exposed if connected to my name, but you can have the URL if you respect its privacy.

I’d like to see your Bucolic College report if possible. I expect it’s condescending, but I’ve factored that in.

My Facebook wall has some good historical material on 50s Alaskan Island village life - Our mutual friend just remarked on that - can pull up more articles if either of you are interested.

/******/

No comments:

Post a Comment